1. Who is your favourite artist?
My favourite artists are Mark Rothko for his blurred edges, Frida Kahlo for her unwavering complete divulgence of herself, Keith Haring for creating his art for 'everyone'. Teresita Fernandez is amazing too!
2. What were you like as a child?
As a child I was quite shy. I think my parents would describe me as a happy child.
3. What inspires you the most?What inspires me the most is the amazing diversity of ways life expresses itself.
4. Do you have any rituals for creating your art?
Typically I have music playing while I work. Often my painting sessions turn into dance parties and/or live concerts during which I do more singing and dancing than painting. Also, as I am in the habit of using another person's colour choices in each painting, I spend some time before I paint 'getting to know them' by reflecting upon the person's colour choices.
5. What impact do you hope your art has on others? The impact my art will have is entirely up to the viewer. My hope is that they will experience Truth, Beauty, and Love when viewing my work, and have these things remain with them long after they have stopped looking.
6. Do you think you are ever misunderstood as an artist?
I don't feel misunderstood. Many times a viewer appreciates my work differently than I expected, but to me, this just means that there is 'more to the work' than I was aware of.
7. Where do your ideas come from?
I'm not sure where my ideas come from. I do know that the best ones come to me at times when I am most committed to Love.
Selina Jane Eckersall is a content marketing strategist, freelance writer and entrepreneur living and working in Burlington ON. Selina is the Executive Director of No Vacancy.