Call to Artists: SUPERNOVA 2015 Presented by No Vacancy Art.
Application deadline: Thursday April 30, 2015
No Vacancy Art is delighted to accept submissions from artists working in contemporary installation/new media for our banner event of the year, SUPERNOVA.
Supernova is a free one-night-only installation art event that engages a wide public audience in the experience of exceptional works of contemporary installation/new media art, within the context of spaces not typically associated with viewing art. In addition to 30+ art installations; programming includes live music, beer garden, meditation lounge, and more.
Event date: Friday September 18, 2015.
Location: Multiple indoor/outdoor spaces in downtown Burlington, Ontario, Canada.
No Vacancy Art invites artists working in contemporary installation/new media to submit ONE recent work, (created during the past two years), to be considered for inclusion in the Art programming for Supernova. Submissions will be juried at arms length by a panel of arts professionals, who will evaluate the submissions based on their visual impact, creative/innovative concept/use of materials, how the work fits within the context of contemporary art practices, and how the work engages/interacts with a broad viewing public.
Supernova 2015 Jurors:
Carol Podedworny, Director & Curator
McMaster Museum of Art
Denis Longchamps, Chief Curator
Art Gallery of Burlington
Inuit Art Foundation
Interested artists are asked to submit the following:
• Full contact information.
• Artist Statement describing in detail the proposed work, 500 words maximum. Please include in your description whether or not the work is suitable for indoor/outdoor space (or both), and any specific installation requirements.
• Biography, maximum 200 words.
• Current artist C.V., 3 pages maximum.
• 2-3 images of ONE recent work, (2013 or later), to be evaluated by the jury.
• 3-5 supporting images to provide context for the artist's overall artistic practice. All images must be JPEG format, 300dpi, no larger than 1MB in size, and labelled and numbered in the following manner: Last name_First name_01_title.jpeg
• Image list detailing submitted images, including: title, medium, dimensions, and date completed.
• Web links to video footage of submitted work, if applicable.
Please email the above to: email@example.com by Thursday April 30, 2015.
Note: Late or incomplete submissions will not be reviewed by the jury.
ABOUT NO VACANCY ART
No Vacancy Art is a not for profit provincial charitable arts organization committed to curating outstanding pop-up art events in the city of Burlington and advancing the profile of contemporary art. We place a strong emphasis on contemporary installation art and favour work that is provocative, exciting, thought provoking, or complex in nature.
We frequently make use of vacant or non-typical space by transforming it through the experience of art. Our events typically involve multiple artists using a variety of spaces. We aim to support and showcase the best contemporary art talent by providing opportunities for emerging and mid-career artists to reach new audiences and push the boundaries of their art.
No Vacancy believes in fair compensation for participating artists, and therefore adheres to the CARFAC fee schedule.
For more information, please visit us at: www.novacancyart.com
Please direct all inquiries to:
Artist Relations Officer, No Vacancy
Selina Jane Eckersall is a content marketing strategist, freelance writer and entrepreneur living and working in Burlington ON. Selina is the Executive Director of No Vacancy.