1) When did you first start getting serious about art?
when I was around 13-14 I became serious about my art, I always want my art to be pleased to others because I want to be the one with the art that people talked about or people wanted. I am very proud about every art piece I create.
2) What would you say is your genre or style?
I would say the genre or style of my art is unknown because I like my art to be abstract, animal related, I want it to include a memory I have experienced or to have a message of sort to inspire.
3) Do you hope to have a career in art one day? If so, any particular area?
My career choice is in no means to be a pro artist, for my career I want to be an architect technician because it includes some of my favourite things, drawing, being creative, making a difference with my ideas and working hard to please myself.
4) What inspires you the most to create your art?
the way people act, good or bad, will inspire me most with my abstract art. Any amazing memory I have I will try to include in some of my art. Most importantly I try to include an important message in my art work from things like, be strong, be happy, be yourself, don't listen to others, stop bullying and you can make a difference, because it's all true and some people just need to hear it.
5) What artists or creative people do you look up to?
a creative and amazing artist/person that I look up to for inspiration is Kat Von D, she is a well know tattoo artist in LA and she doesn't care what others think, she is more the 100% confident in herself and I want to be someone like that, her art is out of this world.
6) Do you have any direct experience with bullying?I don't like to totally talk about many things like that because I feel it's all just opinions, but I have been bullied because people thought I was stupid, a liar, weird and annoying. I have been pushed to the ground, talked about, in-salted, and embarrassed but I stand right back up with my head held high and I smile on my face and move on, because in the end they are just wanting someone to pick on, wether it's me or someone else I'm still the better person because I know how to move on and be mature.
7) Do you think art can change behaviour and cultural norms?
I think art is a way to express your feelings and emotions, some people use it to vent their feelings or find peace and calmness with themselves and I think it can change the behaviour of many people because they can open up about things and change who they are personally and religiously.
Selina Jane Eckersall is a content marketing strategist, freelance writer and entrepreneur living and working in Burlington ON. Selina is the Executive Director of No Vacancy.